Thursday, June 9, 2016

Is Comprehensible Input Just a Bunch of Jargon?

In my last post here, http://goo.gl/QEYigC, I discussed how my teaching had changed by switching techniques to a method of "comprehensible input" (CI) with a system called "AIM."  Now let me make a little disclaimer.  In no way do I work for AIM and I receive no commission or payment from them.  I will not be afraid, however, to tout the value of their method because, quite frankly, it is amazing and is the best thing I have found since sliced bread.  Besides, how much do textbooks cost today?  Well, an AIM kit (50 hours of instruction) only costs about $600 USD.  There are other methods of CI out there.  If you're interested, check them all out and teach me about the others.  As a teacher, it is my job to constantly polish my craft.

Professor Emeritus and linguist Stephen Krashen outlines "Comprehensible Input" and has demonstrated that only meaningful interactions with learners in the target language produce fluency.  In other words, merely speaking in the target language TO students is about as effective as speaking to an empty classroom.  Students must understand, to some degree, what is happening in the classroom.  More details can be found here:  http://goo.gl/rFlOKb.  AIM is not the only method of CI; it simply represents what has best worked for me in my classroom.

For example, if I assign a gesture to every single word, verb, tense, etc., in my French 1 class, that gesture will be repeated each time.  In fact, students are doing most of the work by speaking while I gesture.  This is not how the class works exclusively.  Our goal is to get them fluent enough to use only French in the classroom and to prepare them for authentic resources (print, audio, visual, all media).  Here is an example of how gesturing in TL (teacher-led) works.  The following example is using English to demonstrate to a wider audience:  https://goo.gl/9Orf8t.  It is important to mention that the difference between TPR/TPRS and AIM is that AIM has a gesture for every word.

Obviously in a French 1 class, we are going to use what is called "Pared-Down Language," or PDL.  PDL allows the teacher to remain in the target language the recommended 90% plus (recommended by ACTFL).  New words, grammar concepts, etc., are introduced gradually and their meaning is quickly explained and practiced right away.  In other words, we remain in a wholly immersive environment and students realize that no only does English (or whatever the predominant L1 is) not have a place in the classroom, but is also unnecessary.

How do I give homework and teach grammar and vocabulary?  It is quite easy, actually.  Each verb for each person is encoded with a slightly different gesture (that makes its meaning obvious).  Furthermore, I use Google Classroom to add CRAM games (CRAM can be found here if you are unfamiliar with it:  http://goo.gl/5LLUTm).  CRAM is great for having students practice vocabulary.  If you use the proper settings, the system will even pronounce the expressions correctly in the target language.

What happens if I am in grammar territory that makes me feel that I absolutely must use English for explanation?  Well, at that point, I most often create a "PowToon" (located here:  https://goo.gl/sSqPdZ) and place it on their Google Classroom site.

I hope this is helpful to others.  Please feel free to leave comments below.  I welcome your insights for what has worked and has not worked.  Remember, we are in this boat together!

If you prefer discussions on Facebook, here is a group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1315711875108905/



No comments:

Post a Comment